Sunday, May 31, 2009

May Highlights with Mom in Enumclaw...

With a mixture of melancholy and reminiscing I realized that I had not actually spent any extended time in hometown Enumclaw since college days in the late '60's!! The last week of May had me staying with Mom to help provide care during her illness and being on a learning curve with all that Hospice provides. Thankful more than ever that both Mom and my sister Judi are nurses - I began an initiation and training process under their expert guidance! I was especially appreciative of the wheelchair that allowed Mom's movement around the house and out to the car for a couple of short scenic rides - and even more grateful for the oxygen that provided her increased energy.

The blessing of warm, bright, clear, sunny days was awesome and inspiring...and that beautiful majestic mountain!
While Mom napped - I enjoyed the sun and view from her deck!

Always love the variety of mountain clouds ...

I found precious past memories of childhood visits to grandpa and grandma's coming back to me. One example - when hanging out sheets, I remembered counting and handing clothespins to grandma! When I got the mail, I loved looking back at the barn - remembering the wonder and sounds and smells of "milking time"... and seeing the creek where we enjoyed fishing and splashing ...and seeing the cellar where grandpa made wine. We used to run all over that hill behind the cellar - now we drive up the hill to Cathy's house!



And now across the road - not dairy cows any more ...
There are certainly lots of changes to be seen - like the helpful signs for those who may not be familiar with the Enumclaw area...




Making hay in May...thanks to 12 rain free, warm days!

Enjoyed visits from family and friends...















Beautiful car ride to Crystal Mountain...

Totally empty parking lot - in contrast to the memories of trudging through it in ski boots and carrying skis and poles...

More Enumclaw scenery ...